So, you've got Windows 8 now, but what about all of those keyboard shortcuts that took you years to memorize? Just because Windows 8 is geared more toward touch interactions, doesn't mean keyboard shortcuts are gone—they're just a little different.
To learn how to maximize your keyboard workflow, check out the following video by Ryan Joy of Microsoft, which discusses all of the need-to-know shortcuts for Windows 8 users (which are also listed below the video).
Here's a list of everything Ryan shows you in the video above.
- Windows Key : Toggles between the Start screen or the Windows Desktop.
- Windows Key + D : Switch to the Windows desktop and toggle Show Desktop (hides-shows any applications and other windows).
- Windows Key + Z : Display the App Bar in a Windows Store app.
System Search Shortcuts
- Windows Key + Q : Search within Apps or within the OS using the new Windows Search pane.
- Windows Key + W : Search Settings.
- Windows Key + F : Search for Files.
Charms Bar Shortcuts
- Windows Key + C : Display Charms bar and date-time.
- Windows Key + I : Display Settings pane for the Start screen or for any app.
- Windows Key + P : Display the pane for choosing between available displays.
Desktop Pinned Apps Shortcuts
- Windows Key + 1, Windows Key + 2, … : Switch to the Windows desktop and launch the nth pinned shortcut in the Windows taskbar. Windows Key + 1 launches whichever application is first in the list, from left to right.
- Windows Key + L : Lock your PC.
- Windows Key + R : Switch to the Windows desktop and display the Run command dialog.
For a mode detailed guide on Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts, check out Paul Thurrot's Supersite for Windows.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions, increase security when browsing on public networks, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
Be the First to Comment
Share Your Thoughts